Wednesday, 2 August 2017

Thieves of Joy


"There are two thieves 
that frequently 
rob us
 of today's joy, happiness and peace - 
past hurts and future fears." 
~ Joseph Wolpert







This quote is such a good reminder for me to live in daytight compartments. I don't know if you are anything like me but I have let past hurts and future fears rob me of many hours of happiness.
  
I have written the following before but I think it bears repeating.


Sufficient to today is the goodness thereof.  I am fully equipped to get through today. More than that if I stop to think I can find many things to be grateful for. I stay in that moment experiencing the gratitude for the bounty I have. I give thanks for it. All is well in my world.

8 comments:

  1. Yes Sherri, I too need to remember that sufficient for today is the goodness thereof. Such wise words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need lots of reminders regarding this sort of thinking too. "Sufficient for today is go the goodness thereof" is from Sir William Osler's address "The Way of Life" that he gave to Yale students back in 1913.

      Delete
  2. Those are very wise words, Sherri. Sometimes, I find it hard to live completely in the present, when past hurts or worries beset me, but turning my attention to the here and the now and finding goodness there always lifts my heart. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Meg, I find it hard too. When such thoughts take hold I usually need to bury myself in work, or a good book or listen to music in order to distract my thinking. But when I can stop them taking hold in the first place, head them off so to speak by staying in the present and counting my blessings - well it is just so much better for me!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Sherri, I needed that quote. Something to remember for my new living arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I could be of help in some very tiny way. I have been thinking of you. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. Past and future... Not places, to dwell... So, that leaves the present.

    Simple, isn't it?

    :-)

    Gentle hugs,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and to quote an ad that used to be on T.V. here many years ago "The simple things in life are often the best". But oh, woe! Just because it is simple does not mean it is easy. I am getting better at living in the present though.

      Delete