Monday, 27 April 2015

Preparing a property base map - Part one

"In the modern world, during the last hundred or so years, there has been an enormous and historically unique shift: away from self-reliance and towards organization. As a result people are becoming less self-reliant and more dependent than has ever been seen in history. They may claim to be more highly educated than any generation before them; but the fact remains that they cannot really do anything for themselves." 
~Dr E.E. Schumacher

Wallum wildflowers

Right now in my permaculture studies I have reached the point whether the rubber hits the road. I am preparing my site assessment base map. To reach this point I have had to do quite a bit of preparatory work. The course requires participants have access to a client site, so assessments and plans can be carried out. For this course my husband and I are the clients.

So to reach this point I had to:

  • Develop an understanding of permaculture ethics and principles and how they can be applied to a given situation
  • Understand the client's needs - so looking at what we need and want from our property - our wish list as it were.
  • Demonstrate a knowledge of: -
    • Food miles - including what food can be sourced locally
    • Ecological footprint
    • What is really in the food we buy at the supermarket; this included looking at :
      • The extrusion process used to make packet cereals 
      • What happens to the nutrients in raw milk when it is processed
  • Develop a client brief
  • Develop a plant database of plants that will grow in the area
  • Create a list of the plants that the "client" wants to grow on the property
  • Plant profiles
    • Fifteen full length plant profiles
    • Mini plant profiles for the rest of the plants from the list of what the "client" wants to grow on the property. Why oh why did I list so many plants? This assignment took me forever to complete. But will prove to be a great resource in moving forward.


Old tobacco shed


And because permaculture is applied ecological design, I also had to:

  • Demonstrate a knowledge of
    • Climate change
    • Peak oil
  • Prepare an in-depth study of my bio-region
  • Examine and reflect on the eco-systems present on my property. This included considering energy flows, food chains and webs.
  • Study habitat, plant successions, plant stacking and disruptions to eco-systems
  • Make compost using the hot composting method


And in a repeat performance presenting the very popular Cyril the snake



In part 2 I will outline the steps I used to create my base map.

14 comments:

  1. Wow, did not realise how intensive this was. Good luck with assessment. Love (not) Cyril.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is really intensive and I am not yet half way through the course. Whereas in the past I enjoyed reading about permaculture, the course is forcing me to look deeply at things and develop skills. I am learning so much useful and practical information.

      Delete
  2. How fascinating - can't wait for the next installment. Friend did nothing on their property for a full 12 months as they wanted to observe the seasons first before they made their base map.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was smart of them Phil. I think it takes a lot of discipline to observe for 12 months but definitely worthwhile.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sherri, Your course sounds challenging, but what a sense of achievement when you complete it! It also sounds like it will have huge practical benefits for you too. Good luck! Stephanie. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie, I find it challenging as other than reading some permaculture books I didn't really have any experience or skills in this area. I find the course is forcing me to slow down, take it step by step and really absorb the many aspects of permaculture. The main practical benefit or outcome that I am hoping for is integrated systems on my property that will save me time and money.

      Delete
  4. Not a fan of Cyril either, Sherri :-) I can't cope with snakes at all. Your course does indeed sound challenging and a lot of work but I can tell that you are really enjoying it. You will have learned so much by the time you have completed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am scared of snakes Chel, and I kept quite a distance from the tree snake when I took the photos. I am learning a lot from the course and it is just so interesting and useful.

      Delete
  5. Holy Moly! That sounds like a LOT of work! I fear I'm sort of "project averse" when it comes to this sort of thing - I'm a little too ADD to sit down and plan anything out like that. I applaud your thoroughness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it hasn't been easy but I am finding it very worthwhile.

      Delete
    2. Your post just makes me want to do it all over again Sherri. I finished my PDC in 2010. If we end up shifting from the suburbs, I would certainly consider it. I would love a site where I could really spread out and have all my zones in place. At the moment, I just do organic gardening using as many permaculture principles as I can manage. Good luck with your base map work.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Hutchy. I haven't got to zones yet on the course, but I am looking forward to setting out the zones on my map when I get that far along.

      Delete
  6. wow! i got quite dizzy reading all that you have to do! that is a lot of work & no doubt one you will be glad you stuck it out. am with everyone else here too
    i hope you keep us informed how you go, will be interesting to see how you use it all too
    good luck
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Selina, in the course I am now up to 'appropriate technology'; and also what animals I want to include in my system, this can include bees and worm farms as well as animals; and looking a bit closer at the needs of the native wild life.

      Delete